We call on the federal government to:
- Offer direct investment directed mostly at public institutions but also for non-elite not-for-profit private institutions.
- Tie federal investment to reducing debt and making college affordable and equitable by:
- Lowering tuition or eliminating costs for undergraduate and graduate students
- Expanding federal student grants for postsecondary education
- Eliminating existing student debt
- Tie federal investment to supporting instruction and research, benefiting students, researchers, and faculty.
- Tie federal investment to living wages and benefits for all university workers, including adjunct professors and campus support staff, and to a commitment by colleges to stop the endless rounds of layoffs.