We are a group of teachers and scholars who believe that a robust and inclusive system of public higher education is a necessary foundation for building a democratic, equitable, healthy, and just society in which all people and communities can thrive. We therefore are calling upon the federal government to launch A New Deal for Higher Education.
Because a vibrant system of higher education promotes and reverberates to the public good, we recognize the duty of the federal government to create a New Deal for Higher Education as a bold reinvestment in higher educational institutions. Colleges and universities have been weakened from decades of ideological attack, privatization, and austerity politics, and their future is imperiled by the crisis prompted by Covid-19.
This is the moment to refund, rebuild, and reform our system of public higher education so that it protects and advances the promise and well-being of students, academic laborers, and communities. Our campaign has been endorsed by the American Federation of Teachers (AFT) and the American Association of University Professors (AAUP) as well as dozens of unions and organizations and thousands of individuals across the country.
- Jalil Bishop (University of Pennsylvania)
- Eileen Boris (University of California, Santa Barbara)
- Marisa Chappell (Oregon State University)
- Karma Chavez (University of Texas, Austin)
- Nan Enstad (University of Wisconsin)
- Adom Getachew (University of Chicago)
- Gretchen Goldman (500 Women Scientists)
- Lisa Levenstein (University of North Carolina Greensboro)
- Aimee Loiselle (Smith College)
- Jennifer Mittelstadt (Rutgers University)
- Donna Murch (Rutgers University)
- Annelise Orleck (Dartmouth College)
- Beverly Guy-Sheftall (Spelman College)
- Eleni Schirmer (University of Wisconsin)
- David Stein (University of California, Los Angeles)
Rutgers University AAUP-AFT
Contact the Scholars for a New Deal for Higher Education by email.